Fitness Center Policies and Etiquette
Those using the any of the Fitness Areas must adhere to the following rules and regulations:
- Abide by all requests from the Recreation Center Staff.
- Proper athletic attire (workout clothing and shoes) is required in the Fitness Centers and on cardio equipment at all times:
- Proper athletic attire must be worn at all times:
- No jeans or clothing with details or materials that could damage equipment.
- Clothing should serve as a safety barrier between skin and equipment as much as possible. Please use a towel as a safety barrier between skin and equipment.
- Appropriate footwear must be worn at all times. (No open-toed shoes, boots, sandals, dress shoes or cleats of any type.) Shoes must be clean and non-marking.
3. Only trained and authorized Department of Recreation employees are permitted to provide personal training and exercise instruction.
4. Do not remove equipment from designated areas.
5. Re-rack weights and return all equipment to its designated areas after use.
6. Equipment may only be used for its designated purpose.
7. Wipe down equipment, upholstery, and mats after use with the provided gym wipes.
8. For your personal safety, use a spotter when appropriate.
9. Safety collars must be used regardless of the amount of weight in all indoor fitness areas.
10. Stow gear in the lockers and shelves provided. We are not responsible for loss or theft of personal items. No athletic bags, skateboards, or other trip hazards are allowed on the weight room floor.
11. Other than water, no food, drink, or gum is permitted in the Recreation Center Fitness Centers. Water must be in a non-breakable container with a resealable top.
12. On cardio machines, observe a 30-minute time limit including warm-up and cool-down period during high-traffic time.
13. Be courteous and allow people to share fitness equipment in between workout sets.
14. Olympic lifts must be performed on the platforms with proper authorization.
15. Amplified music is prohibited. Earbuds or headphones must be used with personal listening devices. Official Department of Recreation programming is exempt from this policy.
16. Photography or filming requires a university permit and Department of Recreation approval.
17. Individuals are prohibited from:
- Using chalk and other grip enhancing products in areas other than the Olympic platforms. (On Olympic lifts, a small amount of liquid chalk is permitted.)
- Touching or leaning against the mirrors.
- Throwing medicine balls against the wall, ground, or mirrors.
- Dropping weights and/or equipment on the floor, except designated bars, and plates on Olympic platforms.
- Slamming weight stacks. Maintain control of weight during entire repetition.
- Using hand weights or dumbbells on cardiovascular equipment.
18. You must be at least 17 years old (or an enrolled fee paying UCSB student if younger) to use the weight room.