The Department of Recreation is excited to offer Olympic Weightlifting with two platforms in Fitness Center West. The Olympic lifting area is a monitored, controlled space where UCSB students and Recreation Center members may perform Olympic Weightlifting exercises after meeting safety criteria. Patrons wishing to utilize the Olympic Weightlifting Platform Area must be “authorized” by one of our nationally accredited certified personal trainers prior to utilizing the platform area.
Olympic Weightlifting Platform Area Specific Policies
- Olympic lifting on platforms is restricted to patrons who are UCSB Campus Recreation Olympic Lifting “Authorized”. The platforms may be reserved for Skills Test authorization appointments during scheduled times.
- Patrons must check-in at the Fitness Center Desk with their UCSB/Recreation Center ID card to gain access to the Olympic Weightlifting platforms. Patrons must visibly display the designated “Authorized User” Olympic Lifting Placard, or “Deadlifts Only” Orange Placard via the hooks on the mirror in front of the platforms. Placards are non-transferable and must be checked out individually at the Fitness Center Desk.
- Exercises other than Olympic lifts and deadlifts are not allowed when utilizing the platform area. Deadlifts are only allowed on Platform #1.
- There is a 45 min time limit for patrons using the Platform Area. Patrons may sign up on a waiting list at the FC2 counter. Please allow others to work in.
- Bumper plates and Olympic Weightlifting bars may ONLY be used for Olympic Weightlifting in the Olympic Weightlifting area.
- Collars must be used at all times.
- Chalk is strictly prohibited. However, 1-2 drops of Liquid Grip is allowed.
- Partners waiting for their turn in the lifting rotation must stand to the rear of the platform, closest to the dumbbells, with their attention focused towards the active lifter.
- Olympic weightlifting platform users must face the mirror while performing lifts. Walking or standing in front of a lifter as they are preparing to lift is distracting to the lifter and a breach of weightlifting etiquette.
- All bumpers plates, and collars are to be cleared from the bar and put back in the proper location (bumper plates organized from lightest to heaviest, left to right) at the conclusion of the workout.
- There are only two grips acceptable for new lifters, standard and hook grips.
- A maximum of six authorized patrons may use the Olympic Weightlifting area at a time (3 authorized patrons per platform).
- Spotting in the Olympic Weightlifting Area is strictly prohibited.
- Only one Olympic bar is permitted per platform at any given time.
- Shoes must be worn at all times.
- Use of vertically stacked weight plates to create a heightened pulling base is prohibited.
- The Department of Recreation staff reserves the right to modify or prohibit any exercise deemed unsafe or inappropriate for the platform area.
Frequently Asked Questions
Each quarter we offer an introduction to Olympic weightlifting class through the Gaucho Rec program. We also offer private and semi-private Personal Training sessions taught by UCSB Department of Recreation Gaucho Pulse NSCA Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialists and Level 1 USAW Coaches are available for those interested in learning and perfecting this sport. For more information and to schedule an appointment, email email@example.com.
In order to gain access to the platform area patrons must demonstrate proficiency in the lift/s (Snatch, Clean, and Jerk or any combination) they wish to perform. Please note that patrons may utilize the designated
"deadlifting only" platform for deadlifts without taking the skills test. However, all patrons wishing to use the platform area must read and agree to the platform area rules and sign the safety and liability paperwork and waivers.
The appointments are free of charge and will last 20-30 minutes depending on how many lifts are checked (Snatch, Clean, and Jerk or any combination) for the skills test. To set up an appointment, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The appointments are primarily a skill/technique assessment, with some brief paperwork to review before moving onto the platform for the technique assessment. Please note that patrons will be asked to demonstrate technique proficiency at this time and the appointments are not meant to be instructional in nature. To make the process more efficient, we ask that patrons warm-up prior to the appointment start time. Patrons will not be asked to lift a maximal load, but should be prepared to do 1-2 sets of 2-4 repetitions of each exercise checked. For safety reasons, not everyone gets cleared during their first attempt. In the case of a "no-pass" score patrons may re-test at a later date.
Because we are scheduling a staff member to conduct your skills assessment, we respectfully ask that you please honor our 24-hour cancellation policy*. Should a you cancel less that 24 hours in advance or fail to show up without prior notice (1 no-show), a mandatory 1 month scheduling freeze will be instated.
Please read these two documents: the Olympic Weightlifting Area Manual and the Olympic Weightlifting Area Specific Policies and Skills Assessment. These documents are not meant to be a comprehensive overview but will provide you with the key alignment and body mechanics that we will looking for during the assessment.
Simply check-in at the Fitness Center West (FC2) Desk with their UCSB/Recreation Center ID card to gain access to the Olympic Weightlifting platforms. You must visibly display the designated “Authorized User” Olympic Lifting Placard on the hooks on the mirror in front of the platforms when performing Olympic lifts. Placards are non-transferable and must be checked out individually at the Fitness Center West Desk.