UCSB Youth Swim Lessons
Make a splash at the UCSB Recreation Center! Our swim lesson program follows the American Red Cross progressive swimming level model which ensures swimmers gain valuable skills for confidence in the water. Group lessons are age and level-dependent. We offer private and small group lessons.
Our lessons are available to children 3-7+ years of age. Children must be a minimum of 3 years old at the time of the lesson and be 100% "potty trained". Swim diapers are NOT allowed in the Recreation Center pools.
Fall 2023 Swim Lessons
Registration begins Wednesday September 13th at 10:00 a.m. for Youth Swim Lessons.
Classes run Sundays, October 8-November 5, 30 minutes each day.
11:35 a.m. - 12:05 p.m.
4-5 Children per group
Swim Lesson Levels
Refer to these examples when placing your child in a group lesson:
Level 1: Water Exploration
Swimmers have little or no experience with the water. Swimmers will be comfortably oriented to the water and taught basic pool safety. Skills taught include submerging the face, blowing bubbles, bobbing underwater, assisted front and back floating, kicking on front and back, and assisted front and back gliding.
Level 2: Primary Skills
Swimmers can perform all of the skills in Level 1. Swimmers will learn to independently float on their front and back, independently glide on their front and back , glide on their front and back while kicking, retrieve objects underwater, front and back crawl for at least 5 yards, roll over from front to back and back to front in the water, and jump into the pool and level off from a vertical to a horizontal position.
Level 3: Stroke Readiness
Swimmers can perform all of the skills in Level 2. Swimmers will learn to tread water, glide on their front and back for 10 yards, elementary backstroke, kneeling, and compact dives.
Level 4: Stroke Development
Swimmers can perform all the skills in Level 3. Swimmers will further develop the skills learned in Level 3 and will increase their endurance by swimming freestyle and backstroke for 25 yards, elementary backstroke for 10 yards, treading water for 2 minutes as well as learning "side-breathing," breaststroke, and standing dive.
Level 5: Stroke Refinement
Swimmers can perform all the skills in Level 4. Swimmers will learn to side-breathe on both sides, swim breaststroke (10 yards), sidestroke (10 yards), underwater for 3 body lengths, elementary backstroke (15 yards), dolphin kick (10 yards), and freestyle and backstroke (50 yards). Swimmers will also learn flip turns, diving on the diving board, and feet-first surface diving.
Level 1 = 3-6 yrs
Level 1 = 5-7 yrs
Level 2 = 4-8 yrs
Level 3 = 5-8 yrs
Level 4 = 6-10 yrs
Level 5 = 7+ yrs
- Children must be at least 3 years of age and "potty-trained' before beginning lessons.
- Please do not schedule lessons directly before, during, or after your child's nap-time as this may interrupt their daily schedule.
- Please make sure your child does not eat a heavy meal 30 minutes prior to their lesson.
- Please give your children ample opportunity and encouragement to use the toilets before and after their lessons.
Facility Restrictions & Guidelines
Facility Entrance for your Swim Lesson:
- You may enter the Rec Cen 15 minutes prior to your scheduled time to prepare for your lesson.
- You must exit the facility no later than 1 hour after your lesson start time.
- You must check in and out at the Rec Cen front desk.
- We have new Universal Locker rooms (Family friendly) available in the Galleria hallway.