Fitness Center Policies and Etiquette
Those using the any of the Fitness Areas must adhere to the following rules and regulations:
- Abide by all requests from the Recreation Center Staff.
- Proper athletic attire (workout clothing and shoes) is required all Fitness Areas and on cardio equipment at all times:
- Proper athletic attire must be worn at all times:
- No jeans or clothing with details or materials that could damage equipment.
- Clothing should serve as a safety barrier between skin and equipment as much as possible. Please use a towel as a safety barrier between skin and equipment.
- Appropriate footwear must be worn at all times. (No open-toed shoes, boots, sandals, crocs, clogs, birkenstocks, dress shoes or cleats of any type.) Shoes must be clean and non-marking.
3. Only trained and authorized Department of Recreation employees are permitted to provide personal training and exercise instruction.
4. Do not remove equipment from designated areas.
5. Re-rack weights and return all equipment to its designated areas after use.
6. Equipment may only be used for its designated purpose.
7. Wipe down equipment, upholstery, and mats after use with the provided gym wipes. A barrier must be between equipment and the patron's skin (for example a towel or a t-shirt).
8. For your personal safety, use a spotter when appropriate.
9. Safety collars must be used regardless of the amount of weight in all fitness areas.
10. Stow gear in the lockers and shelves provided. We are not responsible for loss or theft of personal items. No athletic bags, skateboards, or other trip hazards are allowed on the weight room floor.
11. No food or gum is permitted in the Fitness Centers. All drinks must be in a non-breakable container with a resealable top.
12. On cardio machines, observe a 30-minute time limit including warm-up and cool-down period during high-traffic time.
13. Be courteous and allow people to share fitness equipment in between workout sets. Maximum 3 people per piece of equipment.
14. Olympic lifts must be performed on the platforms in FC2. (See platform specific policies below.)
15. Deadlifts must be performed with bumper plates or coated plates. (Deadlifting is not permitted with solid metal plates found in FC2.)
16. Amplified music is prohibited. Earbuds or headphones must be used with personal listening devices. Official Department of Recreation programming is exempt from this policy.
17. Photography or filming requires a university permit and Department of Recreation approval.
18. Individuals are prohibited from:
- Using chalk and other grip enhancing products in areas other than the Olympic platforms. (On Olympic lifts, a small amount of liquid chalk is permitted.)
- Touching or leaning against the mirrors.
- Throwing medicine balls against the wall, ground, or mirrors.
- Dropping weights and/or equipment on the floor, except designated bars, and plates on Olympic platforms.
- Slamming weight stacks. Maintain control of weight during entire repetition.
- Using hand weights or dumbbells on cardiovascular equipment.
19. You must be at least 17 years old (or an enrolled fee paying UCSB student if younger) to use the weight room.
Platform Specific Policies
1. There is a 45 minute time limit for patrons using the Olympic platform area.
2. Bumper plates and olympic weightlifting bars must be used on the platforms.
3. Collars must be used at all times.
4. Chalk is strictly prohibited. However, 1-2 drops of liquid Grip is allowed.
5. Patrons waiting their turn must stand to one side of the platform.
6. Platform users must face the mirror while performing lifts.
7. Spotting in the Olympic Weightlifting area is strictly prohibited.
8. Only one Olympic bar is permitted per platform at any given time. All other barbells MUST be racked.
9. The platforms will periodically be reserved for classes.