Fitness Center Policies noted with teal highlight are being adjusted in accordance with the Santa Barbara County Public Health Department. These adjustments will remain in effect until further notice.
Fitness Center Policies and Etiquette
Those using the Weight Room and Cardio Galleria must adhere to the following rules and regulations:
- Abide by all requests from the Recreation Center Staff.
- The University of California Santa Barbara Recreation Department of Recreation Fitness Area dress code is strictly enforced. We wish to create a welcoming and inclusive environment for all members, as well as reduce the risk of bacterial disease transmission and prolong the life of the exercise equipment.
Proper athletic attire (workout clothing and shoes) is required in the Fitness Centers and on cardio equipment at all times:
- No jeans or clothing with details or materials such as buttons, zippers, snaps, or rivets that could damage the equipment
- Clothing should serve as a safety barrier between skin and the equipment.
- Full-length T-shirt or tank top must cover the chest, rib cage, and abdominal area.
- Shorts must cover buttocks, gluteal folds, and groin region.
- Appropriate footwear must be worn at all times in the Fitness Centers. (No open-toed shoes, boots, sandals, dress shoes, or cleats of any type.) Shoes must be clean and non-marking.
3. Only trained and authorized Department of Recreation employees are permitted to provide personal training and exercise instruction.
4. Do not remove equipment from designated areas.
5. Re-rack weights and return all equipment to its designated areas after use.
6. Equipment may only be used for its designated purpose.
7. Wipe down equipment, upholstery, and mats after use.
Covid-19 Policy Adjustment: Sanitize equipment upholstery and touch points before and after use with the provided gym wipes.
8. For your personal safety, use a spotter when appropriate.
Covid-19 Policy Adjustment: In abiding by physical distancing protocols, spotting will not be allowed until we return to non covid adjusted operations.
9. Safety collars must be used regardless of the amount of weight.
Covid-19 Policy Adjustment: Since a spotter is not allowed until after we return to non covid adjusted operations, safety collars are not to be used when bench pressing. In the case of an emergency, this will allow the weight to be dumped on one side to create a safe exit on the other side. Safety bars and/or safety collars are required to use the Squat Racks and the EZ bars.
10. Stow gear in the lockers and shelves provided. We are not responsible for loss or theft of personal items. No athletic bags, skateboards, or other trip hazards are allowed on the weight room floor.
11. Other than water, no food, drink, or gum is permitted in the Recreation Center Fitness Centers. Water must be in a non-breakable container with a resealable top.
12. On cardio machines, observe a 30-minute time limit including warm-up and cool-down period during high-traffic time.
13. Be courteous and allow people to share fitness equipment in between workout sets.
Covid-19 Policy Adjustment: Be courteous and efficient with your workout to allow for others to utilize the equipment after you are finished.
14. Olympic lifts must be performed on the platforms with proper authorization.
15. Amplified music is prohibited. Earbuds or headphones must be used with personal listening devices. Official Department of Recreation programming is exempt from this policy.
16. Photography or filming requires a university permit and Department of Recreation approval.
17. Individuals are prohibited from:
- Using chalk and other grip enhancing products in areas other than the Olympic platforms. (On Olympic lifts, a small amount of liquid chalk is permitted.)
- Touching or leaning against the mirrors.
- Throwing medicine balls against the wall, ground, or mirrors.
- Dropping weights and/or equipment on the floor, except designated bars, and plates on Olympic platforms.
- Slamming weight stacks. Maintain control of weight during entire repetition.
- Using hand weights or dumbbells on cardiovascular equipment.
18. You must be at least 17 years old (or an enrolled fee paying UCSB student if younger) to use the weight room.